Sunday, December 14, 2014

Memories

I remember sitting on the swing by the porch. Eating blue-flavored double-stick popsicles. Mine always broke before I was finished eating it.

I remember getting together with the entire neighborhood and playing hide-and-seek in the dark. Nobody ever wanted to be the searcher, because hiding is always more fun.

I remember the day I saw my dad cry for the first time. I'd never seen him cry in my entire life, and we've cried a lot more since then.

I remember sitting in the car with my family, and making up our own games because those were the best kind. Especially on long road trips. I always came up with rules that favored me.

I remember when I saw you for the first time.

I remember when I saw you the last time.

I remember how I used to sit in sacrament meeting and think about anything and everything that wasn't sacrament meeting.

I remember the straight-back, fold-up, cold, metal chairs that I was always so good at balancing against the wall.

I remember when I crammed a pencil into the fan and how you promised that you wouldn't tell mom.

I remember playing the piano everyday. I can sometimes still hear the monotone tick tick tick of the metronome. Always ticking away.

I remember that secret pocket on the inside of that jacket I never really liked. I only wore it because of that pocket.

I remember elementary school. I had wear a uniform. They said that uniforms were a good thing, and it was supposed to stop the bullying about what we wear and make us all the same. But it didn't, and they found other things. We looked the same, but I didn't feel like we were equals.

I remember crying during class. I just couldn't help it. I said my eyes were red because of allergies.

I remember when you showed me how to make a paper crane. I still make paper cranes, and they are never as good as yours were.

I remember being tucked in at night, and reading until my eyes wouldn't budge. Now I fall asleep to the sound of YouTube videos, and Netflix movie marathons instead.

I remember taking walks at night, and the streetlamps that never liked you.

I remember when shoulder were for holding each other close, and not used for launch-pads that kept you above at the cost of someone else.


It seems that there are quite a few emotions in a life.
In fact,
You could say the we've all been on quite the roller coaster, and it isn't even half way done.
I'm trying not to fall off.
I don't want to be left in the dust.


I'll have to get back up, shake the dust, and make more memories.
 And never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment